My School > General > Terms
Type <Ctrl> <F> to search for words in the article.
Setting up terms for the system is vital as the system is term driven and modules like curriculum and absenteeism require this as the foundation for later use. In public schools, it is typical to create 4 terms per year where private schools may only have 3 terms. The best practice is to create all terms for the particular year at the same time for both Learners and Staff/Educator. This is normally done during the implementation phase of the system. Ensuring that term dates are correct is important, as it affects areas like the absenteeism functionality for learners and educators on the system.
Different Term Dates for Learners/ Educators/ Staff
You are able to enter different term dates for Learners than for Educators or Staff.
Staff are seen as non-teaching personnel who takes leave any time of the year. Set up only one term from 1 January to 31 December.
Educators are teaching staff that takes leave during the school term only. The term dates are prescribed by the DOE.
Learner term dates are prescribed by the Department of Education.
You will be able to create and edit terms as described in the paragraph below.
HOW TO CREATE TERMS FOR A NEW YEAR
Click on the following buttons: My School > General > Terms
- A screen will be displayed with a year and all the Terms created for that year.
- Now an option to create start and end dates is available and it is a requirement when exporting to SA-SAMS. These dates will allow the capturing and reporting of staff absenteeism and leave for non-educators/educators and their correct working periods.
If you want to create new terms
- Firstly, select the year in question:
- Then click on, "Create terms for a new year" to copy the terms from the selected year to the next year.
- A message will come up saying, "Are you sure you want to copy 2015 to 2016?"
- In the event of selecting “Ok”, the system will then notify you that the action was successful.
How to add terms
- Click on the "Add Term" button.
- A screen will be displayed with the following information:
- Year: The selected year will be shown and cannot be changed (greyed out).
- Term: The next logical term number in the selected year will be shown by default.
- From / Until Dates: Enter the correct starting and ending dates for the terms under learners and under educators
- Once done, click on the "Save" button and continue creating the next term until you are done for the year in question
- (Alternatively, click "Click" to return to the previous screen).
How to edit terms
- If you have any terms to edit, just "double click" on the term record line (in question) in order make your changes and to save them.
- After you have made the applicable changes to the selected term, you will see a notification after you have saved your changes saying (Success: Term 2 was saved)
How to remove the last term
- If you want to remove the last term in order to convert 4 existing terms to 3, then click the "Removed Last Term" button. Should the system find related data for this term, then these will first have to be unlinked or removed before this action will be allowed. A message will come up (Unsuccessful: Term 4 is in use and can't be removed.)
- To remove all terms, click "Remove Last Term" repeatedly until all the terms are removed from Term 4 to 1.
- If no absentees were entered for the term, the following message will appear: "Are you sure you want to delete term 4?"
- If you select "OK" the last term will now be removed
© Copyright d6 group (Pty) Ltd.